Mission and Objectives
KARAT is a regional coalition of organisations and individuals focusing its actions on observance of women’s human rights, and ensuring gendered economic and social justice in the Region.
Our Region is the territory of the Central & Eastern European and Central Asian countries.
KARAT Coalition has the following objectives:
- Advocate for gender-responsive policy and decision-making as well as alignment of national policy and legislation in all countries in the Region with international standards and agreements.
- Lobby for the needs and concerns of women in the Region at all levels of decision-making fora.
- Contribute to the improvement of the socio-economic position of women in the Region.
- Contribute to the actions related to gender aspects of development.
- Respond to the threats associated with fundamentalist, conservative, and anti-democratic forces as well as a peril of military conflict.
- Strengthen Karat’s capacity to deliver its mission.
KARAT Coalition pursues its objectives through:
- Advocacy on different levels including: United Nations (esp. related to CEDAW and Beijing Process), European Union (esp. related to enlargement process and neighborhood policies), governments from our Region and other stakeholders including transnational corporations.
- Monitoring the implementation of international agreements and gender equality standards (e.g. Beijing Platform for Action, CEDAW Convention, ILO Conventions, EU policies and laws etc.).
- Capacity building aimed at developing expertise in the area of economic and social justice, and gender in development to empower women from our Region.
- Building alliances with other European/global women’s and development networks/organizations to scale up our results in achieving gender, economic and social justice.