In September 2014 KARAT Coalition launched the project “CEDAW – a tool to combat discrimination”. The project based on the cooperation of Polish NGOs. They aim for an implementation by Poland of Concluding Observations issued by the UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW Committee) during its 59th Session held on 20.10 – 07.11.2014 r.
The project’s activities involved the Coalition for CEDAW which consists of the following organizations:
Federation for Women and Family Planning, Foundation Feminoteka, Karat Coalition, Foundation of Izabela Jaruga-Nowacka, Foundation MaMa, Foundation La Strada, Foundation for Equality and Emancipation STER, Foundation Women’s Space, Foundation Trans-Fuzja, Institut of Polish Affairs, Polish Association of Antidiscrimination Law, Social Monitor of Education, Association of Women’s Initiatives, Association for Legal Intervention, Association Lambda Warsaw, Polish Network of Policewomen, Childbirth with Dignity Foundation .
Most of the organizations gathered in the Coalition for CEDAW participated in developing the Alternative Report on the implementation of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) prepared for the 59th Session of the Committee.
Actions within the project:
1) Participation of representatives of the Coalition for CEDAW in the 59th Session of the CEDAW Committee including presenting the Coalition’s statement, meeting with the Committee’s members to discuss the case of Poland, participating in the Committee’s session focused on Poland.
2) Rising awareness and knowledge on the CEDAW Committee’s Concluding Observations submitted to Polish government ((hereinafter: Recommendations of the Committee).)
3) Releasing of the Polish language version of the Alternative report prepared for the 59th session by the Coalition for CEDAW.
4) Gathering information from the Ministries and central governmental bodies about the planned activities in conjunction with the CEDAW Committee’s Concluding Observations.
5) Monitoring of implementation of some of the Committee’s Recommendations seen as the priorities by the Coalition for CEDAW.
6) Organizing the “round table” meetings dedicated to the implementation of selected Recommendations of the CEDAW Committee to enable a dialogue between the representatives and organizations gathered in the Coalition for CEDAW, Government Plenipotentiary for Equal Treatment, Coordinators for Equal Treatment in the relevant Ministries, the decision-makers responsible for implementation and interested social actors.
7) Developing a report showing the results of monitoring of the implementation of the Committee’s Recommendations, in particular those identified as priorities by the Coalition for CEDAW.
8) Organizing a seminar to sum up the project and evaluate the implementation of the Committee’s Recommendations.
The time frame of the project:
The project will be implemented over a period 09.01.2014 – 30.04.2016.
The project is implemented in a frame of the program “Citizens for Democracy” funded by EEA Grants.