Women’s organizations in new member states (NMS) generally have little experience in development cooperation. However, their input and advocacy actions are essential to support decision-makers, and other development actors to recognise how fundamental gender equality and women’s rights are to an effective and sustainable development cooperation. A strong East-West-South dialogue and exchange is needed to build EU-wide support for development co-operation and for putting women’s rights and gender equality at its centre.
The project aimed at strengthening the capacity of women’s organizations from the countries that joined EU in 2004 and 2007 (Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, Slovakia) to advocate for the full implementation of the EU Development Consensus and the EC Communication on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in Development Cooperation. It also focused on strengthening the allies and solidarity between women’s organizations in Central- Eastern Europe and Global South.
This was achieved by:
- Capacity building of the NMS women’s organizations
- Facilitation of networking between women from the East, South and West
- Development and dissemination of awareness raising materials
- Media and public events
Connect! specific objectives included:
- Capacity building of women’s organizations in the NMSs to influence their own governments towards full implementation of EU policy on gender equality and women’s rights and engaging with broader public opinion on this matter
- Raising awareness of women’s organizations and NGOs in selected NMSs about the importance of gender equality and women’s rights in development
- Challenging stereotypes and building the bridges between the women’s organizations from old and new member states, including, where possible, South and East
The parnters in the project:
One World Action (UK, the leader), Gender Education Research and Technologies (Bulgaria), Association of Equal Opportunities & Gender Studies, O.P.S. (Czech Republic), ‘AUR’ – A.N.S.R.U (Romania) and Slovak Center for Communication and Development (Slovakia).
The main activities included events such us: Regional Dialogues, National Dialogues, advocacy work and publications. More about the events HERE.