Gender and Labour Rights in Electronic Industry (2008 – 2010)
Gender in Electronic Industry
KARAT addressed gender and labour rights in electronic industry through its involvement in MakeITfair. MakeITfair is a European campaign focusing on the labour abuses and environmental problems related to the electronics industry (especially mobile phones, laptops and MP3 players). KARAT took part in the first project implemented as a part of the campaign during the years 2008 – 2010 and focused its activities on issues relevant to the women of Central and Eastern Europe.
How were we working
KARAT’s main role in the project involved coordination of the following activities:
- researching on working conditions in electronic industry in Poland, Czech Republic and Hungary
- organising capacity building workshops for NGOs and institutions in Poland, Czech Republic and Hungary
- developing and disseminating of awareness raising and educational materials
- as a follow-up of the project KARAT was also involved in the PrecureITfair project. KARAT’s role in the project involved organising research on working conditions and environmental pollution in computer hardware factories in Hungary and Romania, and assisting in organising a Speaker’s Tour.
KARAT participated in the production of the following publications:
- Gender Aspects. Production of Next-Generation Electronics in Poland. Available also in Deutch, Dutch, Czech, Polish and Hungarian.
- On the Move. The Electronic Industry in Central and Eastern Europe. Avilable also in English, Polish, Czech and Hungarian.
- Make IT Green. Consumer Guide. Available also in Polish, Czech and Hungarian.
- China Calling: Make IT Fair. Consumer Guide. Available also in Polish, Czech and Hungarian.
- Would You Like a Phone Made of Gold? Consumer Guide. Available also in Polish, Czech and Hungarian.
- Find Out the True Cost of a Phone Call. Consumer Guide. Available also in Polish, Czech and Hungarian.